Earth & Turf Burger
Recipe Courtesy of Chef Richard Blais of FLIP Burger Boutique
A blend of mushrooms and meat make up the patty of this Earth & Turf Burger courtesy of Chef Richard Blais.
Yield: 8 burgers plus an extra taste!
Burger Blend – Mushrooms
12 ounces portabella mushrooms
9 ounces shiitake mushroom caps
9 ounces button mushrooms
Burger Blend – Meat*
12 ounces beef chuck
9 ounces beef short rib
9 ounces beef brisket
*You may also use a freshly ground, 20% fat store bought blend.
1. In a pan with high-quality butter, roast the mushroom blend until golden. Then sprinkle with salt, pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice.
2. Place on a paper towel and cool.
3. In a grinder, grind the roasted mushrooms.
4. Use paper towel to blot out any remaining moisture.
5. Gently fold the cooked mushroom grind and beef grind together.
6. Form into ¾ inch thick patties.
1 tsp Worcestershire powder
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp onion powder
½ tsp Porcini mushroom powder
Salt & pepper to taste
1. Season burger with the spice blend and salt and pepper on both sides.
2. Cook in a pan or on a hot grill for 3-4 minutes per side.
3. If cooking in a pan, toss in a pat of butter and sprigs of rosemary and thyme. Baste the burger as it cooks.
Brioche or burger bun
Mushroom Ketchup (recipe below)
Mushroom Mayo (recipe below)
Sliced Gruyere cheese
Bread & butter pickles
1. Toast a brioche or burger bun in butter or olive oil.
2. Spread the Mushroom Ketchup and Mushroom Mayo on the bottom bun.
3. Next add caramelized onions followed by burger patty topped with melting Gruyere cheese.
4. Finish with bread & butter pickles and top bun.
1 tsp curry powder
¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
2 cups shiitake mushroom stems
2 cups water
3 tbsp ketchup
3 tbsp hoisin sauce
3 tbsp orange juice
1. In a pot, boil the curry powder, soy sauce, shiitake stems and water until it reduces to approximately ½ cup of liquid.
2. Strain and add the ketchup, hoisin sauce and orange juice.
3. Stir until combined and smooth.
1 quart button mushrooms
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup mayonnaise
Salt & white pepper to taste
½ tsp white truffle oil
1. Simmer the button mushrooms in the cream for 15 minutes.
2. Puree the mixture in a blender until completely smooth.
3. Add the mayonnaise and seasonings and combine thoroughly.